Ciapat: winery history and tradition of the Roero

The Montaldo Vineyards


The holding is located in Montaldo Roero, a small village 12 kilometers away from Alba . Since 1846, as the Land Registry testifies, the Bertello family lives in the Ciapetto site (the location is recognized by the Land Registry since 1623). Ciapetto Farmhouse” – in the Piedmontese accent – indicates a farm with a yard, garden and vineyards on the top of a hill (called “ciapetto di terra”).

The original holding is a typical Roero one with small vineyards and fragmented orchards, dedicated to the animal husbandry. Giacomo founded the holding in 1850. He strongly believed in the potential of this beautiful land, therefore he started to harvest the grapes. The other crops were completely substituted by grape over time.

The first vineyards were: the “Sarzorì” in the municipality of Vezza d’Alba which, in 2016, got the term “Valmaggiore” and produces the Nebbiolo grapes famous all over the world; the “Gargan” that produces Nebbiolo Grapes; the “Cagnòla” that produces Nebbiolo and Favorita grapes; a part of the greatest one, the “Valle Gioia” that still produces the Arneis grapes. To these historical vineyards are added other vineyards for a total of 15 hectares..

All the vineyards were manually worked and all the grapes were sold at the time. Around 1950, Giacomo’s son Antonio begun the wine production directly in the holding. He, our grandfather, has passed down his passion to us, the nephews. Bottle after bottle, the quantity and the quality of the products have raised. The concept of traditional and genuine winemaking is not faded away..


1846

The Ciapetto Farmhouse

The holding is precisely located in the municipality of Montaldo Roero, which borders with Vezza d’Alba and Monteu Roero. The Bertello’s settlement is here since 1846, as the Land Registry testifies

“Ciapetto Farmhouse” – in the Piedmontese accent – indicates a farm with a yard, garden and vineyards on the top of a hill (called “ciapetto di terra”).

The original holding is a typical Roero one with small vineyards and fragmented orchards, dedicated to the animal husbandry (cows and pigs, chickens and rabbits) fed with the products of the farm itself, to the fruit and vegetable harvesting and the silkworm rearing.

It is a hard work we do respecting nature, family, values, traditions and customs.


1850

The Ciapat Beginnings

The holding founder, Giacomo, devoted himself to the production of the wine grapes around 1850 seeing and believing in the potential of this magical land

The other crops were completely substituted by grape over time. Anyway, the farmhouse still harvests fruits and vegetables as well.


2016

What the years confirmed

The first vineyards were and still are today: the “Sarzorì” in the municipality of Vezza d’Alba which, in 2016, got the term “Valmaggiore” and produces the Nebbiolo grapes famous all over the world; the “Gargan” that produces Nebbiolo Grapes; the “Cagnòla” that produces Nebbiolo and Favorita grapes; a part of the greatest one, the “Valle Gioia” that still produces the Arneis grapes. To these historical vineyards are added other vineyards for a total of 15 hectares..

It all began first with the hard work in the vineyards, at that time rigorously processed by hand and of which the grapes were sold; then we moved on to the direct vinification of the grapes produced in the holding.

It was an important step that made the history of this family making sure that bottle after bottle the quantity and the quality of the products have raised. The concept of traditional and genuine winemaking is not faded away..

The Farmhouse Ciapat’s staff

Would you like to buy a product?

339 25 68 240